Sign in to follow this  
SRR020silvia

What car to buy? Forester/Outlander/Santa Fe/Rav4/CR-V

Hey guys, this question isn't related to JDM or import cars, but I was hoping if anyone that has "OWNED" the cars listed; could help me decide whats car to buy by letting me know the pros and cons. My budget is 15k

Subaru Forester X

Mistubishi Outlander

Honda CR-V

Hyundai Santa Fe

Toyota Rav 4

Thanks.

X-trail is acceptable, Im just after a good fuel efficient, big family car. I understand fuel effficency is a a terrible thing to look for when buying a 4x4 or SUV but I dont want a car that drinks and does 14L or 16L/100km.

Edited by SRR020silvia

if you actually want any offroad capability... scrap most of that list & buy a Grand Vitara 4wd.

out of all the "small soft roaders" it's the only one with a proper transfercase & low range + reasonable ground clearance and then maybe the outlander. all the other's are essentially oversized FWD camry wagons etc that send a bit of drive to the back wheels.

if you're after the looks of a SUV, any of that list will be fine for picking up the shopping & dropping the kids off at school... just don't expect it to perform like a 4wd of any sort.

f**k i hate the acronym SUV, there is nothing sporty or utilitarian about a owning CRV or RAV4 :sex:

Edited by atari4x4

if you actually want any offroad capability... scrap that most of that list & buy a Grand Vitara 4wd.

out of all the "small soft roaders" it's the only one with a proper transfercase & low range + reasonable ground clearance and then maybe the outlander. all the other's are essentially oversized FWD camry wagons etc that send a bit of drive to the back wheels.

if you're after the looks of a SUV, any of that list will be fine for picking up the shopping & dropping the kids off at school... just don't expect it to perform like a 4wd of any sort.

f**k i hate the acronym SUV, there is nothing sporty or utilitarian about a owning CRV or RAV4 :sex:

what about a beams powered rav4!? :P

i'd probley rather a commodore or falcon. just as much room and more efficiant

Edited by BEAMS

Also think about which one it's gonna be easiest to get parts for.

if you actually want any offroad capability... scrap that most of that list & buy a Grand Vitara 4wd.

this guy knows

except, 15k might only get you a pretend one.

Edited by R32GTRS

there are a few out there, just depends on kms & condition.... personally i'd be looking at the 2.4 4 banger rather than the 2.7 V6

I was tossing between a Subaru Forester X or a Nissan X-Trail, but seems as if the X-trail has won because its too hard to find a fSubaru Forester in my budget with low Km's.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Sure the Forester isn't designed for rock crawling, but I know guys with them and they get around some fairly rough bush trails ok. Joe Average doesn't envisage boulders and swamps when they think offroad anyway, so I wouldn't discount it. The CR-V, Santa Fe and Rav 4 are the Camrys in disguise.

I probably should have mentioned, I dont plan on using this vehicle for towing, or driving long distance to the outback/countryside, I was after a big comfortable car that will last and is cheap to maintain. Used as a daily driver to and from work and weekend activities. At this moment the x-trail seems most appealing. If anyone has any opinions on the x-trail or the choice of car I plan to buy for its use please give me your opinions.

Ive got the current model xtrail and are very happy with it. A couple of friends have had earlier models in the past anb were also happy with them, thats the main reason for me buying mine. For me it is the perfect size with an economical engine for the type of car it is at the moment im getting 9.7 l/100kms around the city and having the option to do some light 4wding is handy. I also looked at Subaru Forresters but the boot is way smaller than the xtrail.

Take that X-Trail on the beach & it will quickly become an X-Fail. :lol:

The traction control will stop it in it's tracks, that's if the viscous 4wd system doesn't over heat first & shut down rear drive, no doubt it's a good grocery getter but guarantee once you've had a taste of off-roading you'll want to go that little bit further & this is when you'll come unstuck.

I said light 4wding, and you turn the esp/ traction control off. Mates xtrail had no problems going down to the Murray mouth. But still I wouldn't take one serious 4wding, there not designed for it but are great wagons.

Anyways back to topic, I dont think the op is looking for a car to take to cape york peninsula....

i'm just saying buy something that will do everything he wants on road & will go anywhere & further than anything on his list offroad... anything including a simple dirt road in wet weather can go from pretty easy to oh crap very quickly, it's not consistent thing like tarmac.

and since when has this place stayed on topic eg: drifting quitters now about hookers in j-land :lol:

EDIT: i guess it's a bit like buying an auto to go drifting. :sex:

Edited by atari4x4

I have a forester x, great reliable car, but under powered, ours is lowered on 20's so can't comment on off road capability lol. If you are heavy footed it will be heavy on fuel, as they are gutless you drive them flat everywhere

I would steer clear of early xtrail too, seen and heard of too many that use oil, not just a little either

I have a mate that's a Nissan Tech & he hates the things with a passion...

Posted (edited)

The 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L is an easy-to-drive compact SUV with a stylish exterior and roomy interior.

image.jpeg.bf1d24c4fc6bb3af7ebe91aef17b0ff3.jpeg

It can carry five passengers and provide 37 cubic feet of space for cargo. If the seats were folded, it can provide a space up to 70.9 cubic feet, as seen in this video. 

The vehicle model is available in three trims: the LX, the EX and the EXL For the driving layout, it either comes in front-wheel or all-wheel drive By SUV standard, the vehicle is considered very quiet.

It held a record of 65 decibels when running at 60 miles per hour Its fuel economy ranges between 23 and 31 miles per gallon.

It has an Econ Button which alters the operating characteristics to improve fuel economy. It operates using a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder i-VTEC engine running at 185 horsepower.

Thanks to the engine, the vehicle can run as far as 424 miles with maximum fuel The vehicle can reach 60 miles per hour from a standstill in just under 10.2 seconds.

And from the same speed, the vehicle can achieve a complete stop within 3.8 seconds.

Other notable features:
- Bluetooth 
- Hands-free calling 
- Full-color, multi-information display with the internet, radio and iPhone connectivity 
- Rear view camera with guidelines 
- Steering wheel with all-audio entertainment controls
- Center section USB and auxiliary ports for music players and smartphones

Edited by Matt_21

Foresters are durable.